Are you fostering THINKERS and CREATORS instead of just COLORERS???
- Coloring sheets actually prevent children from being creative thinkers and creators
- Coloring pages are one sided. There is a picture of one specific thing that does not leave room for imagination and independent ideas.
- Coloring pages leave little room for choices aside from maybe choosing which colors to use.
- Coloring pages for this age group are not appropriate as coloring inside the lines requires that the child's fine motor skills be developed beyond their age
- If you look at the artwork you have hanging on your walls or bulletin boards, do all of the projects look the same??? If so, then how can change that to be able to evaluate children's progress??
Try this exercise in your next staff meeting:
Print off a coloring page from google images and use your NON-DOMINANT HAND to color in between the lines.
How did you feel? Did you get frustrated at all?
This is an example of how it can be limiting and frustrating for a child to color in between the lines.
So the next time you think about making a photocopy of an image for the children to "color in" or "decorate" as an easy "project", instead, try putting out all kinds of materials, or just markers and blank paper and let them make up their own art!! Children will learn to stay between the lines when they are 16 and learning to drive!
Young at Art by Susan Striker
IDEAS DE LA SEMANA
Science: Make your own LIGHT TABLE!!
Drill several holes in the sides of an oversize clear plastic storage container, making sure that one hole is large enough for the plug to pass through. (The smaller holes are for ventilation.) Put strings of white holiday lights inside the container and pull the plug through the largest hole. After placing the lid on the container, flip the container over and plug in the lights. Place the resulting light table in a center along with colorful translucent props.
OR...instead of drilling holes in the box, purchase the battery operated BUTTON LIGHTS. If you need to diffuse the light, try taping parchment paper to the top of the lid.
Translucent Prop ideas:
Have fun at your Multicultural Fiesta manana!!